Endomondo is a social sports and fitness network with community tools that enable people worldwide to engage around their passions for living vital, healthy lives. It centers on activities and sports that unify physically active individuals and promote exercise for recreational and serious athletes alike. The mission is to make fitness fun and engaging.
THE MOBILE APP: A SOCIAL MOTIVATOR ON TOP OF A FULL-FLEDGED PERSONAL TRAINER
Endomondo Sports Tracker turns your mobile into both a personal trainer and a social motivator. Bring your mobile whenever you run, walk, bike or do any other outdoor sport across a distance. While you are out there, your route is automatically tracked together with your distance, duration, average speed, split time, calories burned, and more. The audio coach will inform you about your pace for each kilometer or mile. The app keeps a full history of your workouts.
The social dimension is what really makes Endomondo engaging and sets it apart from other fitness apps. Your friends can follow your workout live and if they think you need their help to give it a little extra, they can send you peptalks that are read aloud to you in real time – a popular feature used for both encouragement and harassment! The app also allows you to race against a friend’s previous workout with help from the audio coach.
Endomondo Sports Tracker is connected with Endomondo.com where users can keep a full training diary, dive into more detailed analyses, connect with friends and challenge them. Users can integrate with Twitter and Facebook to share their activities further.
The app is the highest rated fitness tracking app across major app stores.
TIMELINE: FROM 0 TO 15 MILLON USERS AND GROWING
- November 2007: Endomondo is founded in Copenhagen, Denmark by Christian Birk, Jakob Nordenhof Jønck and Mette Lykke, all of them leaving jobs as management consultants with McKinsey & Company.
- August 2008: An early alpha version of Endomondo.com is launched together with the first app. The app soon works on all major platforms.
- July 2009: The beta version of Endomondo.com is launched.
- September 2010: Endomondo passes one million users.
- December 2010: The first PRO version of the app is released on Android, BlackBerry and iPhone.
- September 2011: Endomondo passes 5 million users.
- January 2012: Endomondo passes 7 million users.
- June 2012: Endomondo reaches 10 million downloads.
- October 2012: Endomondo announces global venture partnership with The Coca-Cola Company and reaches 12 million users.
COMPATIBILITY: WORKS ON ALL MAJOR PLATFORMS
You can use Endomondo with close to all mobile phones with GPS including Android, iPhone, BlackBerry, Windows Phone, Symbian, Windows Mobile and Java.
In addition, data can be imported from Garmin sports devices and from certain data formats and the app is integrated with heart rate monitors from Polar, Zephyr and Garmin. ANT+ supported devices like bike speed and cadence sensors will also work on ANT+ enabled Android phones.
THE NAME: A WORLD OF ENDORPHINS
Endo is short for endorphins, which are released in the brain during sports. Mondo means world in Esperanto. In sum, Endomondo is a world of endorphins!
CONTACT INFO: LET US TELL YOU MORE
For more information, please visit www.endomondo.com. We recommend that journalists visit our press section at www.endomondo.com/press. To contact us, please write to email@example.com or – if you are a member of the press – firstname.lastname@example.org